Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine & University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center December 2012
- Pancreatic cancer is the 4th most common cause of cancer-related deaths worldwide.
- 5 year survival rate of pancreatic cancer is around 5%.
- Frankincense resin used in this study was harvested in the country of Oman (Middle East).
- Frankincense was hydro distilled (water process) in 4 different batches at increasing times or temperatures. 78 degrees C at 2 hours, 10 hours, 12 hours, and the fourth at 100 C for 12 hours.
- Tests were run on pancreatic cancer cells 24 hours after treatment with frankincense essential oil.
- Tests were also run on male mice between 4-5 weeks old that had pancreatic tumor cells implanted. These tumors were allowed to grow for 7 days. After this they were given either a control saline solution or Frankincense essential oil every 4 days.
- Frankincense essential oil increased cytotoxicity (growth suppression) of pancreatic cancer tumors 3 hours after treatment.
- Frankincense essential oil activated apoptosis (cell suicide) in the pancreatic cancer cells. Tumors began to shrink after the 8th day of treatment.
- Tumors were significantly smaller when treated with Frankincense than the control group (76.67 mm^3 compared to 204 mm^3).