Reading Monkey http://sett.com/readingmonkey bookworm en-us Tue, 19 Nov 2019 00:59:48 +0000 http://sett.com Sett RSS Generator My Name is Mina by David Almond http://sett.com/readingmonkey/my-name-is-mina-by-david-almond This is the prequel to Skellig, a book I read earlier and did a review on. Mina is home educated, and the book is her journal. She tells stories about what happen in her life. One is about when she went to school. There is another one about SAT's day which is the day sh]]>

This is the prequel to Skellig, a book I read earlier and did a review on.

Mina is home educated, and the book is her journal. She tells stories about what happen in her life. One is about when she went to school. There is another one about SAT's day which is the day she left school because she didn't fit in. On SAT's day she wrote a page of nonsense. There is another story about when she ran off from school at lunchtime, so that she could go to the underworld and bring back her dad from the dead. Mina also wrote about her dreams, she had two dreams that she wrote about. One was written more as a poem and the other was an account of the whole dream. The author, David Almond was very clever, because he wrote the book as Mina speaking in the first person for the journal sections but when Mina tells the stories of the underworld and school, and all the other stories he wrote them as Mina writing them in the third person.

I enjoyed this story because it's different, in other stories the characters don't home educate. Mina is different from other characters because she has a free mind and she gives her opinions and she says everything she feels. Mina thinks that she is weird, but in my opinion I think that writing a journal helps her deal with her father's death. Mina like's being weird and everyone thinks she is weird because she is different to them because she has a free spirit and thinks out loud. I would like to be friends with Mina, she knows how other people are feeling and is really thoughtful. She could tell that her teacher was having a hard time on the day of the SATs because all her buttons were done up wrong and her hair was a mess. She wanted to give her a hug, but she didn't. I'd recommend this book to eight and upwards because a younger age I don't think would understand it.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Tue, 20 Oct 2015 10:06:33 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/my-name-is-mina-by-david-almond
The Snow Spider by Jenny Nimmo http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1227692 Book 1 Gwyn on his Ninth birthday was given four strange gifts by his grandmother, Nain, who gave instructions for them, to be thrown one at a time to the wind. One was a brooch, the second was a piece of seawead, the third was a scarf and the fourth was a wooden horse. ]]>

Book 1

Gwyn on his Ninth birthday was given four strange gifts by his grandmother, Nain, who gave instructions for them, to be thrown one at a time to the wind. One was a brooch, the second was a piece of seawead, the third was a scarf and the fourth was a wooden horse. Later in the story when it was really windy Gwyn threw the brooch into the wind and the wind brought back the snow spider. The snow spider span a web for Gwyn to look into. Gwyn looked into it and saw his lost sister. Throughout the story, Gwyn throws the other gifts to the wind. As I read the story, I really wanted to know why Gwyn was throwing the presents to the wind. Soon I found out the reason why. Gwyn threw the scarf out of the widnow and to his amazement he made some wind come and the scarf got whipped away. Afterwards, the scarf brought back his sister.

Whilst she was staying, Gwyn's grandmother-Nain, tells him that he is a magician, but when Gwyn gets home he finds that his mother has washed the spider down the drain and he has nothing left to give to the wind apart from the wooden horse, but there is a very good reason in the story why he must not use it. He did use it and something terrible happened...

I enjoyed the suspense in this story. I couldn't predict what was going to happen next. I felt that I could relate to Gwyn as he is a similar age to me and it made me wish I had the same magical abilities as him.

Book 2

As Nia, a friend of Gwyn's from the first book in the series, sat in a removal van she saw Emlyn a boy from school in a chapel near her new house. Nia wanted to see more inside the chapel, but then the removal van moved off. Later on at the new house Nia took the dog for a walk and bumped into Emlyn and she went to the chapel with him. When she went inside she saw a lot of paintings and from the roof lots of handmade butterflys are dangling. When Nia went home she found the snow spider. Later on in the story Nia was doing a project for school and she needed some material for the blossom in her picture. She went to Emlyn and he gave her a dress to use for the blossom. When she went home she tried the dress on and the snow spider span a web as she needed a mirror. When Nia looked into it she could see Emlyn's mother, who ran away when Emlyn was little. After seeing this, Nia and Gwyn decided that they needed to do something to help Emlyn.

Book 3

At Nia's house her soldier cousin unexpectedly phoned to say that he was coming to stay. When he came over to stay, Gwyn accidently trapped an evil spirit inside the soldier. The evil spirit is trying to replay it's own Welsh story again through this soldier, Nia's cousin. This means that Gwyn, for the rest of the story, has to stop Nia's cousin doing evil things. I found this really shocking and it was quite scary.

I enjoyed these books because they had unexpected happenings in them and the author didn't give the ending away so easily. I'd recommend the first book to six and upwards and the second and third, because of their more scary aspects to eight and upwards. The last two books use language for older children and this reflects the age of Gwyn and the other children growing up in the story.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Mon, 28 Sep 2015 15:36:38 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1227692
Thief! By Malorie Blackman http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1226195 Once a new girl, Lydia, starts school and really wants to join a club, but she is forced to take the sports cup, by Anne the leader of the club,and put it in her locker for one day and then return it. She doesn't do it and Anne puts it in Lydia's locker instead. The teac]]>

Once a new girl, Lydia, starts school and really wants to join a club, but she is forced to take the sports cup, by Anne the leader of the club,and put it in her locker for one day and then return it. She doesn't do it and Anne puts it in Lydia's locker instead. The teachers find out and wherever Lydia goes, torments follow her, so she runs from home onto the moors, but she gets knocked out and when she wakes up she finds a storm has put her into the future...

I enjoyed this book because Lydia travels between past, present and future and the plot changes as a result. The main character is Lydia. I'd recommend this book to eight and upwards.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 15:27:28 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1226195
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K Rowling http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1226183 A prisoner from Azkaban has escaped! Harry thinks Sirius Black, the prisoner, betrayed his mother and father to Voldermort the dark lord. Also the game keepers pet, Buckbeak, is going to be executed and Harry finds out that Siuris Black is... I liked this book because I ]]>

A prisoner from Azkaban has escaped! Harry thinks Sirius Black, the prisoner, betrayed his mother and father to Voldermort the dark lord. Also the game keepers pet, Buckbeak, is going to be executed and Harry finds out that Siuris Black is...

I liked this book because I like lots of adventure and magic and fun and I think the author is a talented writer. I'd recommend this book to eight and upward.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Fri, 18 Sep 2015 13:11:47 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1226183
The Great Elephant Chase by Gillian Cross http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1205553 When Tad and Cissie find out that someone wants to buy their elephant, they run west to try to get one step ahead of Mr Jackson and Esther, the people who want to buy the elephant. The elephant is not for sale. Wherever Tad and Cissie go, Mr Jackson and Esther follow the]]>

When Tad and Cissie find out that someone wants to buy their elephant, they run west to try to get one step ahead of Mr Jackson and Esther, the people who want to buy the elephant. The elephant is not for sale. Wherever Tad and Cissie go, Mr Jackson and Esther follow them. Tad and Cissie escape on the Ohio river in a flat-boat, they hide with the elephant in the belly of a coal tow and they run across the prairies. At the end Tad – whoops I shouldn't tell you otherwise I will give away the story.

This book was really adventurous and full of suspense. It nearly took my breath away, the characters were really daring and I think that I have another favourite book. The book is set in North America and the main characters are Tad, Cissie and the male Indian elephant. I think the characters were very well described because I could really imagine them all running across the prairies. I would recommend this book to boys and girls aged eight and upwards.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 16:40:43 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1205553
King of the Cloud Forests by Michael Morpurgo http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1199682 When Uncle Sung flees China with Ashley they head for England. To get there they have to climb the Himalaya mountains. Then Uncle Sung goes to get food, but he does not return. Ashley is taken to the Cloud Forest and he makes friends with the Yetis. The Yetis teach him h]]>

When Uncle Sung flees China with Ashley they head for England. To get there they have to climb the Himalaya mountains. Then Uncle Sung goes to get food, but he does not return. Ashley is taken to the Cloud Forest and he makes friends with the Yetis. The Yetis teach him how to fish and Ashley teaches the Yetis how to swim. Ashley leaves the Yetis and some Monks take him in. The monks take him to a monastery and Ashley sees someone but who is it?

This book had a lot of adventure in it and I really enjoy the book's setting in the Himalaya mountains. The main characters are Ashley, Uncle Sung and the Yetis. I'd recommend this book to Six and upwards.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Mon, 08 Jun 2015 09:54:57 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1199682
The Hobbit http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1191515 The book is about Bilbo Baggins. He makes friends with a band of dwarves and a wizard. The dwarves names are Balin, Dwalin, kili, Fili, Dori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, and especially the leader of the dwarves Thorin Oakenshield (you say his surname because he is ver]]>

The book is about Bilbo Baggins. He makes friends with a band of dwarves and a wizard. The dwarves names are Balin, Dwalin, kili, Fili, Dori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, and especially the leader of the dwarves Thorin Oakenshield (you say his surname because he is very important) and the wizards name is Gandalf. They went on a journey. When they went on their journey they had lots of adventures. Bilbo finds a magic ring that turns anyone that is wearing it invisible and with that ring Bilbo saved the dwarves from many things including a massive spider attack, where the gigantic spiders were wrapping up the dwarves in spider thread but Bilbo just cut through the spider thread and killed most of the spiders. Now I will tell you the reason why they went on an adventure, it was because there was a dragon called Smaug who stole lots of people's treausure and the dwarves wanted to kill the dragon and get back the treasure. If you want to know more you have to read the book.

I liked this book because of the adventure and the magic also because on the way to the dragons mountain where the dragon lived they stayed at somebody called Beorn's house and he could change into any shape he wanted, I like the fact that people can change shape. The main characters were Bilbo the Dwarves and Gandalf. I'd recommend this book to seven and upwards.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Fri, 15 May 2015 13:40:43 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1191515
The Secret World of Polly Flint by Helen Cresswell http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1176846 When Polly moves to her Aunt Em's house she knows it is magical. She keeps seeing time gypsies and she makes friends with some time gypsies that are stuck above ground, because their world disappeared centuries ago underneath the earth in Grimstone. Grimstone is a villag]]>

When Polly moves to her Aunt Em's house she knows it is magical. She keeps seeing time gypsies and she makes friends with some time gypsies that are stuck above ground, because their world disappeared centuries ago underneath the earth in Grimstone. Grimstone is a village that disappeared centuries ago. Polly helps them to get back to Grimstone but I shouldn't tell you how. You will have to read the book.

I like this book because it seems so real as if I can almost feel them dancing on their maypole and I like how Helen Cresswell describes it. The main character is Polly. I saw good reviews on this book but the libraries in Kent county didn't have it so I recommended they buy a copy of the book and they did. I'd recommend this book to seven and upwards because it is really exiting.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Sun, 26 Apr 2015 16:57:14 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1176846
Tom's Midnight garden by Philippa Pearce http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1156421 Tom doesn't want to go to his aunt Gwen's and uncle Alan's flat because he is on holiday. Tom has to go there because his brother, Peter, has got measles so he has to go there to avoid catching them. One night Tom heard the grandfather clock strike thirteen. . . Tom goes]]>

Tom doesn't want to go to his aunt Gwen's and uncle Alan's flat because he is on holiday. Tom has to go there because his brother, Peter, has got measles so he has to go there to avoid catching them. One night Tom heard the grandfather clock strike thirteen. . . Tom goes downstairs and opens the back door. His uncle and aunt had said ''really Tom there is nothing to see '' but now Tom doesn't believe them because now he sees a garden with flower beds and yew trees that were glistening in the morning dew . . . Tom makes friends with a girl called Hatty and she shows him all around the garden, but later on in the story (the day that Tom goes home )Tom finds out that he is only in Mrs Bartholomew's dreams.

I like this because you don't know whether Tom's dreaming or not and you don't know whether Hatty's a ghost. The main characters are Tom and Hatty. I'd recommend this book to seven and upwards because younger children might not understand it .

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 15:21:36 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1156421
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1152205 Sylvia was staying at her aunt Jane's house when she had to go to Willoughby Chase where her cousin Bonnie lived. She said goodbye to her aunt and stepped on the train. When she got to Bonnie's house, Bonnie's parents were just about to go on a voyage. When they do went ]]>

Sylvia was staying at her aunt Jane's house when she had to go to Willoughby Chase where her cousin Bonnie lived. She said goodbye to her aunt and stepped on the train. When she got to Bonnie's house, Bonnie's parents were just about to go on a voyage. When they do went on the voyage Bonnie and Sylvia were left with Miss Slighcarp and the trouble begins. First miss Slighcarp locked Bonnie in the cupboard but Sylvia found the spare key to the cupboard and unlocked Bonnie and then Bonnie and Silvia find a secret passage and through a spyhole they saw Miss Slighcarp burning Bonnie's father's will .Then miss Slighcarp sends them off to be maids …

I like this story because it has a lot of conversation and it is written beautifully and it is described beautifully too. The main characters are Sylvia and Bonnie. I'd recommend this book to seven and upwards because it has got a bit of cruelty in it.

>> Comment on this Post · Like this Post

]]>
Fri, 06 Mar 2015 09:56:48 +0000 http://sett.com/readingmonkey/uid/1152205