Are you in L.A.? Headed there NOW to present MARVELS AND MONSTERS: UNBOUND tonight at the Japanese American National MuseuM!
MARVELS AND MONSTERS: UNBOUND is a showcase of amazing short works inspired by the Japanese American National Museum's opening of the exhibition I curated for NYU A/P/A Institute, Marvels & Monsters: Unmasking Asian Images in U.S. Comics, 1942-1986. The showcase features eight works by seven artists (Maritess Zurbano, queen of magic, is represented TWICE) and each piece is a punch in the gut to one of the eight ugly stereotypes that have shadowed Asian Americans since time immemorial: The Lotus Blossom, The Alien, The Brute, The Manipulator, The Brain, the Kamikaze, The Temptress and The Guru.
Congratulations to the creators of our showcase:
- Robert Allison, “Overwrite”
- Mark Brown, “Evil Is a Yellow Face”
- Carin Chea, “The Jumper”
- Joey Damiano, “The Audition”
- Raymond Hui, “X-Wings of Defeat”
- Deanna Myers, “Cute Asian Girl”
- Maritess Zurbano, who submitted two winning entries, "Magical Girl" and "Tommy the Adequate"!
Also, on Saturday (Target Free Admission Day!) I'll be doing a Curator Walkthrough and free Build a Hero/Build a Villain sessions with A.L. Baroza and Jeremy Arambulo...bring the kids!