Take a quick look at these two images, at first glance they look the same.
Now take a closer look. You will soon see some differences in the arrangement of the keys. The first image is the layout of a standard QWERTY keyboard. The second is the layout of the Dvorak keyboard.
What is Dvorak?
- An alternative keyboard layout
- Designed to be more efficient
- The keys that are used the most are on the home row
Why Use Dvorak?
- Reduce finger strain
- Be able to type more quickly
- "I've used QWERTY my whole life, it would be too hard to switch."
- "I don't want to buy a new keyboard."
- "I share a computer with others who use QWERTY."
Questions to Consider
- Do you already use Dvorak?
- If not, what benefits would make you consider switching to it?
- What other objections would you have against switching to it?
In my next speech I will discuss the Dvorak keyboard layout, its history and its benefits over the QWERTY keyboard layout. After the speech I will create a follow-up post that will provide you with helpful information that you can use if you decide to make the switch to Dvorak.