hide

Read Next

Go Faster, Get Over, or GET OUT OF THE WAY!

No, the picture is not of me, but it could be. I am not known for my patience in any capacity, most notably on the road. Being the driver I am, I blow a gasket when I get behind an idiot driver who is in the center lane, not going the speed limit or even attempting to keep up with traffic. Although I do not have the scientific proof, I would surmise 78% of most wrecks on major highways are caused by idiots who just do not want to get with the program. The remaining 22% are caused by the other idiots who rubberneck to gaze upon wrecks not even on their side of the highway. (Just a tip for this 22%, watch the news that night!)

In a recent bout with road rage, I began thinking how similiar it is on a team when one person is just not "on the bus" as stated in the great book: Good to Great. Just imagine, everyone is moving at a rapid pace toward the destination, you the fearless leader have set. There is excitement, thrill, progress, then there you spot it. The lone idiot in the middle lane going 20 miles under the speed suggestion, I mean limit, you set. And as you sit there and silently in your mind throw your hands up, pull your hair, and throw objects in your office it happens... the wreck.

In the last post, "Do the team a favor-Get Rid of the Loser", we talked about the effect one cancer cell has on your team. Now that we have identified the who, let's deal with the strategy.

So, back to the interstate. There I am, stuck behind this moron of a driver as minivans pass me at what seems to be mach speed on the interstate. It is in this moment (what seemed like an eternity), that I had this revelation. The same thing was I was telling the moron in front of me is most often what needs to be said to the cancer cells in a team. Go Faster (or up is more approriate), Get over (find a better suited job in the company), or Get Out (if you need an explanation to this one, you might be the moron in front of me).

Training with the South African national team

On minimalift

Every weekend, I travel to Hottentots Holland Weightlifting Club to lift and learn from the national coach, Aveenash Pandoo. Yesterday was my first opportunity to participate in a full squad training session, so I thought I’d write up my notes for you. These are observations and I make no guarantee that I am accurate on all counts.

For starters, I forgot my shoes for the third time in my entire lifting career. Like when you’re injured, it’s important to show up anyway. There’s plenty of weaknesses you could be working on, plus you can improve your own technique and coaching eye through observation. Between lifts, I was very intrigued by the difference in coaching style. Here are the rest of my notes:

All in all, this setup very much reminded me of the environment of martial arts training, albeit with a lot more audience participation and collaborative learning. In particular, there is a huge emphasis on mastery on a per-lift basis. Anything learned from the coach must be applied immediately and henceforth. There is a feeling of being behind, in a good way, if that makes any sense to you! This is an emergency - it is impossible that there is enough time to get strong enough and learn everything you need to. Therefore, you must apply yourself consummately to this bar in front of you right now… this very next lift.

Rendering New Theme...