Like any other senior in college, I constantly think about what's going to happen after my golden years. Sometimes the anxiety takes over and I fall in a black hole for a couple of minutes; the panic is intense. I barely have any work experience, quit my internship and started getting serious about putting myself out there only a couple of months ago.
But guest speaker Steve Savoca, Spotify's global content and distribution manager, said something interesting, "The best way of networking is to go to conferences." It's something I never thought of and as soon as I got home, I researched journalism conferences. YES, THEY EXIST! In fact, there's a great variety to choose from.
The one that caught my eye immediately is the one in Hawaii. I mean, what doesn't sound great about it, right? Yup, this is it, the perfect opportunity to get to meet people in the business and getting a new stamp in my passport simultaneously.
My time there will be very limited, but I want to see as much as possible. Besides (DUH!) going to the beach, I want to explore the island.
Here's a list of things that I intend to do in Honolulu:
1. Try a guava malasadas at Leonard's Bakery (doughnut like, but they're Hawaiian so they're not!)
2. Hike to the Manoa Falls (where Spielberg filmed scenes for Jurassic Park, mind you!)
- actually, this place will probably be filled with people. I hate that because it takes away from the scenery, and because someone will always interrupt my attempt of beautiful photography - that's exactly what happened when I was at Dunn's river in Jamaica, such a bummer. We'll see about which waterfall I'll go see.
3. Visit the Honolulu Museum of Arts (lots of Japanese and Hawaiian art)
4. See the Surfboard fence (Donald Dettloff's fence consists of 647 surfboards, granting him a spot in the Guinness World Record for the largest collection of the boards)
5. Experience David Hockney's L'Enfant et les sortilèges (a look in another world)
If you know about any hidden gems in the area please don't hesitate to leave a recommendation in a comment below :)
6. Have a Waffledog (a caloriebomb that has to be tried)